Bunion surgery is never pleasant, but when complications due to the podiatrist’s negligence interfere with healing, the patient is entitled to substantial compensation. In order to receive it, however, the patient must have a strong podiatry malpractice attorney. If you live in New York and believe your extended suffering after bunion surgery is the result of podiatric malpractice, it is time to contact The Law Firm of Lawrence M. Karam, P.C.
Lead attorney Larry Karam not only has excellent credentials; he has a long history of successful outcomes. The sooner you contact him, the sooner you can concentrate on your recovery and leave all the details of winning your case in his capable hands.
Why Patients Have Bunion Surgery
Bunion surgery involves removing the bony bump known as a bunion that forms at the base of the big toes due to abnormal movement of one or more of the bones in that area of the foot. Most often it is the first metatarsal and the proximal phalanx – the 2 bones forming the “big toe joint.” Bunions can be painful, resulting in swelling and imbalance and making it difficult to find comfortable shoes. If a bunion interferes with normal and necessary function, a bunionectomy may be considered.
What Constitutes Podiatric Malpractice in a Bunionectomy?
Malpractice relative to bunion surgery can manifest in several ways, including:
- Lack of informed consent, when the podiatrist fails to inform the patient of potential consequences and complications of surgery, or fails to inform the patient of other, less invasive, ways to reduce pain from a bunion
- Failure to take or pay attention to the patient’s medical history (e.g. pre-existing health conditions, allergies)
- Failure to use the best surgical procedure, meaning that the podiatrist, after reviewing the x-rays and the clinical condition of your foot, selected the wrong procedure
- Surgical errors, such as damaging adjacent tissues, cutting the bones improperly, misaligning bone, or in not adequately stabilizing the bone in the proper (new) position commonly seen with the improper use of internal “hardware”
- Postoperative Negligence, failing to provide proper instructions for surgical aftercare, failing to monitor the patient for postsurgical infections or to treat such infections promptly, and quite often in not taking enough postoperative x-rays or not taking them when they are needed
What It Takes to Establish Podiatry Malpractice
In order to recover damages, Larry must demonstrate that your doctor breached the professional standard of care of their medical discipline and that this breach contributed to causing your injury. Dissatisfaction with the results of surgery is not sufficient. He must prove that there is a connection between the podiatrist’s breach and the subsequent injury.
Why You Need a First-Rate Podiatry Malpractice Attorney
Building a case for bunion surgery malpractice requires the services of a lawyer with comprehensive knowledge of cutting-edge podiatric practices as well as the current malpractice laws of New York State. You will find that Larry Karam’s approach is systematic and meticulous. He will take all the necessary steps to build a strong case, including:
- Examining all pertinent medical records
- Reviewing the before and after surgery x-rays
- Interviewing witnesses
- Securing expert testimony to support your claim
As he makes your cause his own, you can rely on him to provide every bit of documentation and evidence necessary.
Damages Larry Will Fight to Win
Larry knows all too well the misery bunion surgery malpractice can cause and will prepare a powerful case. Even though the vast majority of medical malpractice cases are settled out of court, he has found that when he prepares for the rigors of litigation, he is at the top of his game during negotiations to recover maximum compensation for:
- Medical and rehabilitation costs
- Lost income, present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Contact Our Experienced Bunion Surgery Malpractice Attorney Today
You likely feel overwhelmed by the prospect of fighting for your rights against the medical establishment. That’s why you should remember that you won’t have to do the fighting. Larry Karam has the well-honed skills to fight aggressively on your behalf and bring you the meaningful compensation you need and deserve. Get in touch with us today.