Bunions are a common problem for which bunion surgery (bunionectomy) may seem to be the perfect solution. Too often, however, patients who have the procedure experience painful, disfiguring, or even disabling complications as a result of podiatry malpractice. This content will examine whether it is worth the time investment to file a podiatry malpractice claim if you are the victim in such a situation. Contact our office for a free evaluation of your case.
Types of Podiatry Malpractice Related to Bunion Surgery
Your podiatrist, like all medical professionals, has taken an oath to be careful and professional in attempting to heal you and not to do you any harm. Therefore, if your podiatrist has made any of the serious mistakes listed below, they may be guilty of malpractice:
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Failing to get your informed consent for the procedure
- Failing to take your full medical history or failing to pay attention to it
- Failing to make sure the surgical site/equipment was properly sterilized
- Using an improper surgical technique
- Administering anesthesia improperly
It should be remembered, however, that not every mistake your podiatrist makes is evidence of malpractice. Only an experienced podiatry malpractice attorney like Lawrence M. Karam, PC of Podiatry Malpractice Lawyers of New York will be able to determine whether your particular case will hold water.
How We Prove Podiatry Malpractice
Podiatric malpractice is difficult to prove. To win such cases, we must provide convincing evidence that your podiatrist did not fulfill their duties as a reasonable professional would.
It takes a skilled medical malpractice attorney who specializes in podiatric negligence to make this case successfully.
Proving podiatric malpractice involves proving that:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed between you and your podiatrist
- The podiatrist was negligent, not meeting the acceptable standard of podiatric care
- The podiatrist’s negligence caused you injury
- That injury resulted in specific damages (e.g. medical visits or lost income)
If the medical records and x-rays appear to show malpractice, Lawrence M. Karam will have a highly respected expert podiatrist review your case in order to determine if there is indeed sufficient evidence of malpractice to bring your case to court.
Postsurgical Complications of Bunion Surgery
If you have experienced any of the following complications after bunion surgery, you should request a free consultation with Lawrence Karam to see whether you may be in a position to file a successful claim:
- You anesthesia is improperly administered
- Your bunion remains after surgery or grows back
- You big toe is misaligned
- You develop hallux varus (a big toe that is drifting away from your foot)
- You lose joint mobility in your big toe
- You develop cock-up toe (your big toe does not touch the ground)
- You have continued pain and/or swelling after surgery
- You develop a serious postsurgical infection
- You fail to heal properly (nonunion or malunion)
- You develop deep vein thrombosis
You should be aware that if we do take your case, you will not be charged any attorneys’ fees until we recover damages and you can always count on us to be frank with you about your chances for a successful outcome.
Damages You Stand to Win if You File a Claim for Bunion Surgery Malpractice
If your podiatrist’s negligence has resulted in unexpected injury requiring ongoing medical treatment or further surgery, or has resulted in permanent disability, it is definitely worth exploring what compensation you may be entitled to. If you have a viable claim of podiatry malpractice, we may be able to obtain both economic and non-economic damages for you.
Economic damages will reimburse you for costs related to your failed surgery, including medical expenses and lost income.
Non-economic damages are designed to compensate you for intangibles, such as physical pain, disfigurement, permanent disability, or loss of enjoyment of life.
Contact Our Experienced Podiatry Malpractice Attorney Today
Although medical professionals are backed by powerful organizations and high-priced lawyers, we are well-prepared to level the playing field and provide you with aggressive legal representation. Contact us now so we can begin fighting to see that you receive the justice you deserve.