Although dental malpractice represents only about 7 percent of medical malpractice cases, it can be devastating for those who suffer its consequences. Long-term injuries and even fatalities can be traced to dental negligence. At Dental & Podiatry Malpractice Lawyers of New York, Lance Ehrenberg, Esq. has 35 years of experience and a well-earned reputation for protecting the rights of patients who have been the victims of dental malpractice. If you or a loved one has been injured due to dental malpractice, consulting with Lance Ehrenberg is a wise move.
The Most Common Type of Dental Negligence Is Associated with Extractions
Though having a tooth pulled may seem to be a simple matter, extractions statistically result in the most frequent dental malpractice claims, especially when performed by general dentists rather than oral surgeons. Complications that arise from extractions at the hands of negligent dentists include:
- Infections requiring hospitalization
- Severed nerves
- Sinus perforations
- Fractured mandibles (lower jawbones)
- TMJ injuries
Dental negligence that results in such complications may include improper preparatory X-rays, careless use of equipment, poorly maintained or defective equipment, and failure to exercise proper sterilization procedures.
Other Common Areas of Dentistry in Which Dental Malpractice Occurs
Dental negligence can occur in any area of dental practice. Lance Ehrenberg is dedicated to protected the rights of dental patients who have sustained injuries while under the care of:
- Prosthodontists who deal with tooth replacements, bridges, and dentures
- Oral surgeons or periodontists who may install dental implants
- Endodontists who treat abscesses and perform root canal procedures
- Dentists who also deal with replacing missing or damaged teeth
No matter which type of dentist has caused you harm, our experienced dental malpractice attorney will fight for your right to just compensation.
What did your dentist do wrong?
Unfortunately, any kind of dentist, no matter how highly skilled in his or her specialty, can be negligent by:
- Failing to diagnose the dental problem correctly
- Administering anesthesia incorrectly
- Failing to detect an oral disease (e.g. advanced periodontal disease or mouth cancer)
- Failing to take, update, or pay attention to the contents of a patient’s medical history
- Being inattentive while administering dental care or performing oral surgery
- Intentionally misbehaving during a dental procedure
- Improperly sterilizing dental instruments
- Installing or failing to replace defective dental tools or equipment
- Injuring a patient during a procedure
Dentists may be held liable for injuries that occur when a patient is cut by a dental instrument, aspirates a foreign object, suffers perforation of the sinuses, a severed nerve, or damage to a healthy tooth or to gums, lips, tongue or jaw, possibly causing difficulty speaking or eating.
Facial nerve damage by a negligent dentist may result in permanent facial deformity as well as lack of sensation in the affected area.
What Damages We Will Fight to Win Through Settlement or Courtroom Verdict
Our law practice is committed to righting the wrongs of dental malpractice, and Lance Ehrenberg has the negotiating and litigation skills to win you the damages you deserve. Once he has established that you have a viable case, he will put all of his efforts into working in and out of the courtroom to obtain compensation for your:
- Medical, surgical, and rehabilitation costs
- Lost income, present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Extended nursing care
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have endured the anguish of losing a loved one to wrongful death as a result of dental malpractice, he will fight tirelessly to provide you with the resources you deserve for:
- Final medical costs
- Funeral expenses
- Loss of financial and emotional support
Whatever the circumstances of your dental malpractice case, you will find compassionate, effective legal representation at our office. Moreover, we will charge you no attorneys’ fees until we have been successful in winning you damages.